en

About Havgrím Seaside Hotel 1948

Everyone in the Faroe Islands is familiar with the impressive, white house – known as the Commodore’s House – situated on the main road Yviri við Strond in Tórshavn. Many will have dreamt of living there or, at the very least, of having the chance to see inside

Now that the house has been turned into a hotel – Havgrím Seaside Hotel 1948 – this is possible.”

Built in 1948, just three years after the end of the Second World War, it was a house like none other in the Faroe Islands.

The location of the house is quite special, some would even say poetic. To the south-east of the house is Eystfalssker, a rocky mass protruding from the sea and well-known from the Faroese folk song “Í góðum veðri hann dyrgdi”, by the famous poet Hans A. Djurhuus.

The Johannesen family moved into this stylish house in 1948. Unfortunately, they were not able to enjoy the house, that Havgrím had put so much effort into building, for very long. In the early 1950s, a financial crisis hit the Faroes. The Sjóvinnubankin went bankrupt and Havgrím lost his house as a result.

The Danish Navy purchased the house and since then, 21 Danish Commodores and their families have made the house their home. Hanging in the entrance hall is a list of the names of all the dignitaries who have lived there.

The last Commodore left in 2013 and an agreement was made with the Danish State, that the Faroese Government would take over responsibility for the house. However, in 2016 the Government decided to sell the house.

06.06.2017 Ltd. purchased the property on the 1st of February 2017

Havgrímur Johannesen from Tórshavn built the house. It was designed by Eyðálvur á Heygum to Havgrím’s specifications, taking inspiration from his many sailing trips to Great Britain. The house was to have a stately entrance, conservatory with steps leading down to the garden, a study and servant’s rooms.